Thursday, November 02, 2006

Toll baaje...

This maybe much ado about nothing. But, hey, I *OWN* this blog! :P

The new toll road (Loop 1 and SH45) are now open in Austin! I am thrilled and excited. I took the toll way yesterday (Of course, we are not yet paying tolls. An oft practiced clever ploy - the government wants to have a 'test period' to make sure their toll systems are working right. In the meantime, they hand out TxTags to all and sundry they see on the street (or the Slanted E campus, as the case maybe). People started using the 'free' toll ways and get addicted to them. Two months down the line, the government concludes that 'all systems are go' and puts the squeeze on the 'crap, it's 7.45 and I'm still stuck in traffic and I have a meeting at 8' commuter. Bravo!)

Anyhoo...roads and bridges and such are monuments to human thought and progress and ability. (In fact, Golden Gate is one of my most favorite spots in the contiguous United States. I am told I will fall in love with the glaciers in Alaska, so I have added Alaska to my excel spreadsheet of 'places to visit'.) It's an ode to their vision, to their dreams and aspirations. Little do we realize that this new toll way is the culmination of months and years of blood, sweat and tears of men, women (and those in between). Kudos to them all. Roads and bridges hold a warm place in my heart (yes, I am weird. But, I don't think there was a debate about that anyway!) They connect people, dreams, hopes, ideas, thoughts. Every new road and every new bridge is the extra yard we are making in human progress. In fact, that's one of the reasons I love travel as well. You get see new places, people, experience new cultures, the whole nine yards. Stimulating to say the least. I digress again...

Driving along the tollway was pure pleasure. I could now get from parking lot to parking lot with a median time of 12 minutes. I suppose anything that's new and fun always holds that special intrigue and fun factor. We are all explorers and most of us love to try 'new things', whatever it may be. The 'flavor of the month' syndrome.

I was on some elevated roads on the way. I began to see the same old strip malls and the same old apartment complexes in new light (or, I guess, in new elevation! :P ). It reminded me of how new and different perspectives of the same place, situation or people refresh your mind. You start to notice things you never had. You appreciate what you previously had not.

That brings me to a related issue. Perceptions.
Isn't it amazing how we meet someone and in a short time frame, form opinions about them or have a certain perception about them. Perhaps we are so quick to judge them or categorize or box them into a familiar category that we do not allow that person the liberty of being himself or herself. Let people be. Do we fail to do that?

Since the recurring theme about this piece has been digressions and abrupt transitions and the like, I shall conclude by saying -
Ok, I will get off my soapbox now.

Drive safe!
PS: I think this is my longest post ever. I know a few who will not make it past the first two paragraphs. For the ones who hung in there, pat pat.

14 Comments:

At 1:48 am, November 02, 2006 , Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said...

One thing I must add - I have always found that it's supremely hard, to the point of being impossible, to overturn perceptions. Agree/disagree?

 
At 12:55 pm, November 02, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Machi - I didnt make it beyond the 2nd para.

1. Its about roads, darn it.
2. I didnt get to drive on it.

 
At 1:12 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger SternMystic said...

REMOVE THE WORD IDENTIFICATION, ITS NOT LIKE THERE's SOFTWARES OUT THERE TYRING TO HACK COMMENTS INTO YOUR BLOG.....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD REMOVE THE WORD IDying.

With an email and a post from you about the toll, I'd be surprised if I cannot coax myself into giving it a try this weekend.

And yeah, the practise of boxing people is quite common and I do it myself. Another angle to that is "familiarity". I have a lot mor eto say on this and maybe I will just tag myself to your post and create a part 2 in my blog. Will keep you posted on that.....

It definitely tolls for thee, workeri!!!

 
At 1:13 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger SternMystic said...

Oh, and remove the WORD IDENTIFICATION!!!!!

 
At 1:14 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger SternMystic said...

Yes, it bother me that much....can't you do that for a faithful reader/fan?

 
At 1:21 pm, November 02, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one Witty! and I quote
"Don't ask for who the road tolls
It tolls for thee!"

 
At 2:01 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said...

Bad Pokiri. No pat for you.

Stern - I DID IT MATE. I REMOVED THE WORD VERIFICATION. TIME TO LET THE BUBBLY FLOW (but, what about bunty you ask eh?)!

Looking forward to the tag on boxing and familiarity.(Incidentally, one of my responses to Areille's '8 twenty somethings' post was - Familiarity breeds contempt.) Perhaps, I ll re-post on the topic as well.

Free Spirit - Danke sire!

 
At 2:38 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger Mommy G said...

Nice one! On the first few paras, all I can say is, I am so happy you aren't missing all those travelling thrills! And its nice to know that roads have added to your list of masala rice and chai in the 'stimulating' category!

And about perceptions... agreed. I have to conciously make decisions not to judge & box ppl. It's tough and I don't think I have succeeded but try try again, huh?

And about the word verification: thank you!!!

 
At 2:51 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger Charanya said...

Witty...I get to work now in EIGHT minutes if I take the toll road and around 10-12 if I don't (thanks to all the traffic getting diverted to the toll roads)...It feels awesome!!

As for the perceptions part of it, I disagree to some extent...I have changed my opinions about people so many times as I get to know them over a period of time...it's the ones that had a personal negative impact on you that are the hardest to overturn....

 
At 4:27 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger Mommy G said...

well said, ciara, on perceptions!

 
At 4:50 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger samurai said...

Why is the word verification bothering everybody?

There are bots which add unnecessary comments - I think WV is a good thing.

Gosh, people dont want to pay money to ride on roads or type words to comments. SHEESH

- pokiri (who pays 2.5$ in toll, 6$ in parking every day)

 
At 6:29 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said...

Areille: I feel you dawg! :)

Ciara, good point. I think I shall save my comments on that topic for a full blown post.

 
At 6:30 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said...

Pokiri - true, but I value my loyal fan base more than fembots (remember what happened to Austin Powers? gasp!). Hence, I took the executive decision to let the word verification go.

 
At 6:40 pm, November 02, 2006 , Blogger samurai said...

:) Always a good kaaal!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home