Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Orange...

One of my favorite movies from the last few years has been, 'Rang De Basanti'. Adjectives run scarce when I try to describe this movie.

If it does not become India's entry to the Oscar's, it better be because there is one that is far better! (which I doubt!). If and when it does go to the Oscar's, I sincerely believe that it will be our best bet thus far!

A few reasons why I absolutely love this movie:

1. The theme is contemporary and the plot/script/storyline is intriguing and engaging: "5 people, representing today's youth, who are seemingly apathetic towards the current state of things in the country, are roped in to make a documentary about passionate revolutionaries. A twist in their real life, inspires them to emulate their on screen characters and become heroes in their own right in today's India!"

2. The movie sends across a message, without being too prescriptive or sentimentally nationalistic. (I thought Swades was equally good in that respect. But, viewers in India did feel that it was very preachy!)

3. Superb casting! Specifically - Kirron Kher as Aamir's mother, Sharman Joshi as the carefree idiot, Soha Ali Khan as the no-nonsense young urban woman.

4. Phenomenal music (Although I do maintain that ARR's best album to date is 'Dil Se'. This comes close to being his 2nd best.) - both background tracks (especially the track during the titles at the beginning of the movie) and otherwise.

Luka Chupi has the power to bring you to your knees.
Roobaroo has an uplifting spirit to it.
Rand de Basanti is vivacious and infectious!
Ik Onkar is soothing and it's picturisation even better
(brilliant shots of the gang at The Golden Temple (one place I have always wanted to visit,
but more about that in another post!)
Khalbali is bound to bring the most somonlent ones to their feet and rejuvenated (one of my
favorite words, but more about that in another post!)
Lalkar is well rendered and has great lyrics (not that the others don't)
Tu bin bataaye is haunting (Legend has it that ARR literally dreamt up this song and
requested the director to make room for his melody. Thank you ARR and ROM)
Paathshala is a must have for every party and every drive!

5. Crisp editing and screenplay. One is never left uncaptivated by the narration and the flow of the movie.
A fave sequence of mine:
Siddharth and Sharman go to drop off Aslam ("...itne nahi talli ke bhoole yaar ki galli"), while
Sue and Aamir have a tete-a-tete!
Aamir breaks down in Sue's apartment after returning from the hospital. The helplessness, the anguish and the frustration could not have been conveyed better. Kudos to Aamir!

6. The back and forth transition from the documentary to real life is seamless and is actually well leveraged, especially in the climactic sequence.

7. Excellent acting by the entire cast. I can't think of one scene which has not been enacted or scripted well.

8. I love the fact that it's not an out and out Aamir Khan movie, with the rest of the gang playing 4th fiddle. Every character has it's nuances - be it Aslam's quiet resilience or Siddharth's 'brooding, ennuied out of life, I couldn't care less' trait (Which he seems to have perfected in the movie. Quite impressed, considering, he was totally insipid in the Tamil version of Yuva.), or the idealistic, nationalist Atul Kulkarni. And, every character gets their pound of flesh, the opportunity to showcase their acting talent. Essentially, screen time is well distributed among all the protagonists.

10. Great photography / locales - especially the 'Paathshala' location and filming.
The sequence where they bike down from the Paathshala locale to the dhaba (the background score for that sequence is exciting!)
The sequence where they throw their shirts and jump! (the signature look of the movie in
the promos.
Even the gang's adda at the university is very authentic. ( Sardarji frying bhajiyas while speaking on the phone is a nice touch)

11. Great dialogues : "Hamara ek paaon past mein hai aur ek future mein, isiliye to hum aaj pe mooth rahe hain!";

12. Oodles of humor to keep you tickled. ("Hello, which country Madam?", "India, I hope!". Incidentally, Sue has done a marvellous job of mouthing dialogues in Hindi. It doesn't hurt that she is cute! :))

13. The title of the movie itself, 'Rang de Basanti' - unusual and apt!

14. Every song is worth watching again and again. The guys jumping into the pool in Khalbali, the brief salsa interlude between Sue and Aamir in Khalbali, the unusual butt slap move in Paathshala, ARR's cry juxtaposed with the arrival of the coffin in Luka Chupi.

15. Hats off to Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra for doing a fantastic job with the conceptualization and the execution. I will just leave it at that!

There are a slew of others. But, I will let you guys chime in with your thoughts as well.

Color me orange, baby!

9 Comments:

At 11:16 pm, July 25, 2006 , Blogger Mommy G said...

dude, i wanted to comment with my fav scenes and moments but u really said EVERYTHING possible. =)

 
At 8:51 am, July 26, 2006 , Blogger samurai said...

:) I disagree on a few counts, but that would warrant a really well thought out post (esp because its RDB, eh?) - so maybe over the weekend.

 
At 10:51 am, July 26, 2006 , Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said...

Areille - "Danke"!
Prasadu - Hush! Shoo!
You are not allowed to make counter posts! :P
I agree, there are a coupla glitches in the movie. I ll try and capture those later. But, this is a post about why I am absolutely enthralled by the movie!

Looking forward to your counter post.

 
At 11:07 am, July 26, 2006 , Blogger SternMystic said...

Good review, biased very positively(no negative comments) but since I love the movie too, can't complain.

You left out the "ek pair...dusra pair...mooth....") funny dialogue.

 
At 2:12 pm, July 26, 2006 , Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said...

Stern - Refer to my comment on Prasad's post.
And, btw, I did include the 'one leg in future, one leg in past,hence peeing on present' quip!

 
At 5:03 pm, July 26, 2006 , Blogger SternMystic said...

I said, "can't complain". Prasad said "think again and post better". Quite different Mr.Nathan.

Stop stealing my favourite color and I can prove it better than you. Come home to my orange couch/poster/comforter/ironingboard/bedsheet/pillow cover. But then whoever said you can't share fav. colors. WE COLOR BUDDIES.

I went back to the post and saw the quip. Remember clearly now, its in hinglish and I tend to skim over hinglish very fast if im not in a patient mood.

 
At 8:16 am, July 27, 2006 , Blogger Mommy G said...

hey, can I be you guys color buddy tooooo?? Orange is my fav. color too. But not the basanti orange. I like the firey orange with more undertones of red. Does it matter?

 
At 9:27 am, July 27, 2006 , Blogger Charanya said...

What I really loved about this movie was the way they handled a difficult subject like Patriotism in such a light manner...with a lot of humour...so as to appeal to the audience who have seen 101 movies about the tough Indian freedom fighters....

Another neat quote:
Sue's Dad: I always thought there were two kinds of people in this world: men who go to their deaths screaming, and men who go to their deaths in silence. Then I met the third kind...

And Captain Ajay Rathod....(aka MADDY)
SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON........

 
At 2:10 am, July 28, 2006 , Blogger rising phoenix said...

Well Mr. Nathan, well thought out I must say :-). I see that you feel Luka Chuppi has the power to bring people to their knees...it has me with my head on the floor...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home