Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Thatha...

I knew him from the age of about four till eleven.

Crisply ironed shirt, starched white dhothi, spectacles with bifocal lenses, neatly parted hair, mouthing Shakespearean monologue, a majestic walking stick and a strong gait - that was my Thatha!

I used to hold his hand and walk with him to Krishna Library in Chikkadapalli, Hyderabad where I would get the latest Amar Chitra Kathas, Tinkles and Tintins.
He used to take me to book fairs every year and buy me tons of books, including Children's Knowledge Bank, Tell Me Why, Tom Sawyer, etc. (He bought me my first RK Narayan book, 'Swami and Friends', the hardbound edition. Somebody borrowed it from me in the last two years and has failed to return it. If you do have it, please let me know. That particular object symbolizes a lot to me.) Whatever love for reading I have, is all because of him.

I remember how he used to shield me from my mother's beatings. I remember how my cousin and I locked him up in his room and threw pebbles through the ventilator...for fun!(Sorry, Thatha - I was a mischievious kid!). At times, he used to buy me and Appi 'Five Star' bars at Kashinath. He had a red hard bound book that contained all of Shakespeare's plays and never failed to watch Shakespeare on Saturday afternoons on Doordarshan. Whatever I know of Shylock, Portia and the like is all thanks to him. I remember him recounting stories of his stint as a public prosecutor and the nasty criminals he faced. I inherited his love for tennis - both playing and watching.

I remember him relaxing in his easychair and watching in amazement as his biceps involuntarily twitched. And of course, every afternoon, after I returned from school, him and I would play a game of Scrabble - that was fiercely competitive, mind you!
If I know any flowery language or strange two letter words, you can attribute it to my Thatha. I remember him never complaining about the lack of salt in the sambar and merely adding a pinch before proceeding with his meal.

And, I remember receiving the telegram from my dad at my maternal grandmom's place in Bombay - a terse message that said "Father passed away last night."

A man of values, discipline, patience, perseverance,dignity, courage, scholarship and affection - that was my Thatha. It's been 19+ years since he passed away. But, I think of him and miss him every single day...

Thank you for shaping me into who I am, Thatha!

10 Comments:

At 1:22 am, September 18, 2008 , Blogger Princess Fiona said...

sadly...now only i know toooo well the sucky feeling of losing your grandfather :(

 
At 1:25 am, September 18, 2008 , Blogger See Bee said...

wow - ur grandpa really sounds like an interesting person

both my grandpas died when i was a baby, so I have never known what it is like to have one :(

but im glad u shared ur experiences, sure sounds wonderful!

 
At 5:53 am, September 18, 2008 , Blogger 'Tis a beautiful life! said...

that's a beautiful writeup WW...really meant something to me at this time...

 
At 6:29 pm, September 18, 2008 , Blogger woorkeri wittynathan said...

Fi - My condolences again.
Chitty - My grandpa was *the dude*, *the man* and similar phrases. Thanks.
Cloud - Thanks kid. Muah!

 
At 12:56 am, September 19, 2008 , Blogger See Bee said...

i did not understand your aquarius comment

i am to be causing cancer wherever i go

 
At 1:06 am, September 19, 2008 , Blogger See Bee said...

and i am also south indian - who is BAD at math

so much for generalising :P

isnt love shove shaadi vaadi the only thing that afflicts 20-30 sumthingers?? isnt that the sole reason movies and tv serials do well??

:P

but hey i also write about music and workplace trauma on my blog

 
At 6:17 am, September 19, 2008 , Blogger Unknown said...

:)

 
At 1:27 am, March 26, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats beautifully written. My tatha was also my inspiration, sadly he passed away one and a half years before.
Cheers
Keep Blogging :)

 
At 5:22 am, August 07, 2009 , Anonymous Harish Krishnan said...

A very nice post! Great to know that there are people still in this world who value their grandparents. The love and knowledge which they pass to us cannot be done by anyone else. My first post was a tribute to my thatha. Do have a look at harishkrishnan.wordpress.com

 
At 2:38 pm, September 01, 2010 , Blogger Alaphia Zoyab said...

Enjoyed reading this post. Sorry, its taken me ages to reply to your FB msg directing me to your blog. Hope you're enjoying the blogosphere.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home